When Dr Robert Williams was appointed as the vicar of Trefdraeth in 1826, he established that education was required in the parish. With the support of the then vicar of Llangadwaladr, the Rev John Hughes Williams BA, the Meyrick family of Bodorgan and numerous others, he moved to establish a church school for the two parishes. The national school as it became known, was opened in Bethel in 1828:the first Headteacher was a Mr Horatio Davies. It was originally designed for 99 pupils, on the basis of the need for six feet square per child. The building was improved and extended in 1859. Later the Meyrick family arranged the bulding of another school at Llangadwaladr, which opened in 1873. In 1870, the church purchased a further piece of land at Malltraeth, and built the St Elizabeth Mission school for infants, which opened in 1873. The County Councils were established in 1888/89, and became responsible for education. The Bodorgan Community School was bulit in 1909/10, and opened its doors to children in 1910. Known by many as "ysgol newydd" (new school), it replaced the National School at Bethel and the Llangadwaladr Church School, which was located in the building known as Glan Coron today. The St Elizabeth Mission School at Malltraeth closed its door as a school in 1913, when the children were moved to the new school. For a century, children from Malltraeth have attended this centre of learning, and you may recognise some faces from the photographs on this page.
A group of Bodorgan School pupils with their teacher Mr D P Roberts(Beulah) in 1938.
Back row from left - Buller Jones(Ty Newydd) Goronwy Thomas,Morris Williams,Bill Hughes,Bob Hughes(Seston),
Thomas Lewis(Balaclava),Seiriol Hughes(Pen Towyn),William Owen.
Middle- Marion Price,Gladys Jones(Newborough today),Mattie Jones,Kitty Davies,Mary Owen,Glenys Williams(Clevely),Eunice Williams,Dilys Jones,Grace Jones(Tir Isaf),Winnie Williams,Menna Morris Jones(Meifor)
Standing middle- Rona Jones(Tir Isaf), Madge Hughes(Seston)
Front- Hugh Owen,Ifor Williams,Donald Roberts,Ken Hughes,T Medwyn Hughes(Coedlys),William John Roberts,Emyr Davies.
Donald Roberts pictured in the front row was the teachers son, and was well known as a garage proprietor.
Infants Class at Bodorgan School circa 1950, with teacher, Mrs Mair Griffiths.
Another class of children at Bodorgan School circa 1950, with teacher,Mr Owen Jones.
A group of children at Bodorgan school circa.1964, with the long serving teacher,Miss Nancy
Jones,("miss jones bach"),who was known to several generations.Miss Jones retired in July 1982
after 35 years service.
Bodorgan School football team,winners of the Anglesey Junior Schools Shield 1967/68.
(Back L-R) Derek Evans,Dafydd Lloyd Jones,Gareth Evans,John Owen(Scotch bach),Leslie Thomas, Philip Williams, Richard Lewis(Bwlan).
(Front)- Ken Evans,Ian Davidson,Peter Mostart,Alan Edwards.
Bodorgan School's Shield wining football team,1983, with teacher,Mr Rees Roberts.
Bodorgan 'rounders' team, 1983.
A photograph of all the staff and pupils at Bodorgan School circa. 1981.
Infants class at Bodorgan School, May 1981 with their teacher Miss Eleri Morgan.
Standard 1 & 2 at Bodorgan School, May 1981, with longserving teacher Miss Nancy Jones.
Bodorgan School Football Team, 1987.
Pupils and Staff of Bodorgan School, on the retirement of the then Headmaster,
the late John Lloyd Williams.
!994 New headmaster Mr Robin Griffiths with the staff.
A small staffing change from the previous photo (the late Mrs Eileen Davies, centre, rear row).