MALLTRAETH YMLAEN MINUTES

WEDNESDAY 27 APRIL 2016

A warm welcome was given by the Chairman to all residents and guests who attended the meeting.

PRESENT: Dafydd Jones (Chairman), Sheila Jones (Secretary), Ann Perkins,

Gwilym Davies, Andrew Hughes, Eric Howarth, Peter Garbutt.

APOLOGIES Hilary Cooke, Rachel Sayer, Capell Aris, Vanessa Caldwell, Jeff Hughes, PCSO Alison Williams, Cllr A Griffith, Richard Coe, Julie Hind, Dr & Mrs S Lyon,

Glenys Jones, Cllr Peter Rogers, Kathleen Beavis, Gareth & Helen Evans.

15 residents in attendance.

 

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD 23 MARCH 2016 & MATTERS ARISING: Minutes were approved as a true record and unanimously agreed by the group.

  • Traffic Mirror (Bryn Poeth Junction) – this still needs adjusting [now also damaged].

POLICING MATTERS: PCSO Alison Williams is at present on light duties but should return on patrol in early May.

FOURTEEN PANEL FEEDBACK: A summarised version of the panel’s minutes have been circulated by Dafydd to the group’s members which record those groups which have been awarded or rejected grants by the panel.  “Gwyl Bro Aberffraw” to be arranged by this group has been awarded grant funding today. Malltraeth Ymlaen will also project manage the schools’ video project commissioned by the Community Foundation.

COMMUNITY FESTIVAL – UPDATE: Now approved by the Fourteen Panel.  Its funding will incorporate the £1,000 grant already received, but not used for technical reasons.  There will be open air concert featuring John & Alun together will Will Tân, and will include a BBQ.  All arrangements are in hand for Saturday 9th July.  Evening event will be tickets only – cost to be arranged.

INTEREST IN FILM NIGHTS/FILM CLUB: Most of the group said “yes” – it is worth following up.

COMMUNITY CENTRE – RECENT AGM UPDATE: Dafydd reported that the Community Centre had made a surplus last year and the hire rates for the hall have been frozen for this year.  As regards the proposed school closure, it seems that Bodorgan School will not be sold off for a few years yet.  It seems that the local authority is having difficulty in purchasing land to build the new “super school” at Newborough. 

Dafydd also stated that an application for grant aid from Comic Relief Community Cash will be submitted this week – if successful, it is hoped to purchase 30 new chairs, 10 new tables, 1 chair trolley, and 1 projector with a drop down screen, cabling and installation.  Total grant applied for is £5,568.00.

NEED TO FORMALISE TRAINING FOR VOLUNTEERS?: Dafydd asked this question, or are we happy with what we already have?  After discussion, it was agreed that the volunteers have a wide range of skills between them, and it was decided that we, as a group, are happy with our volunteers.  Dafydd also stated that the Events Public Liability Insurance has been renewed.

HOW SHOULD THIS GROUP MOVE FORWARD IN THE FUTURE?: Should we change or stay as we are?  Dafydd mentioned that as his mobility is restricted due to having spinal arthritis, help was needed on occasion during events.

CURRY & QUIZ NIGHT: This event was held 12 April and was a great success with a profit made of £87.40 during the evening.  Dafydd thanked Judith and Ali for providing the curry and Christine Rogers for doing the quiz.

COMMUNITY WEBSITE: Vicky Harvey will help Dafydd with updating the website.

150 CLUB 2016:

DRAW 1         1st prize            £30      No 239                        Ann Griffiths, Moranedd, Malltraeth

                        2nd prize           £20      No 292                        Brian Beard, Hermon

                        3rd prize            £20      No 316                        Barbara Jones, Fron, Bethel

DRAW 2         1st prize            £30      No 211                        Bev c/o Cerrig Iago, Bodorgan

                        2nd prize           £20      No 317                        C Garbutt, Ty’n Lon, Malltraeth

                        3rd prize            £20      No 275                        Val Wilson, 1 Iorwerth Terrace, Bethel

COMMUNITY ISSUES: None

BODORGAN FORTHCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:

  • Activities at Llyn Parc Mawr – 11 am to 3 pm 1st May
  • Walk to Listen to the Dawn Chorus at Newborough Forest – 4.30 am 2nd May
  • Saturday 21st May – Coffee morning Bodorgan Community Centre – Llangadwaladr Church.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS:

  • An application for funding to Sports Relief was previously approved and submitted to part fund the cost of a generator. We have been successful in obtaining £1,000 grant aid. Malltraeth Ymlaen will provide the remainder of the cost of £530.00, which includes a wheel kit for the generator.
  • Speed limit through Malltraeth is not being adhered to and NW Police should check more often. Speeding is still taking place near Balaclava corner also.  NW Police have previously asked the group for volunteers to check speeds with speed guns and monitor and pass vehicle registration numbers on to them.  It was also reported that motorcyclists have also been seen speeding on the road from the school down toward Malltraeth.  Dafydd will report to NW Police.
  • Eric Howarth mentioned that he thought that the Curry & Quiz Night was not well publicised and asked whether we should have a community newsletter for the Bro Aberffraw area. Chris Rogers stated that she would be willing to produce a local newsletter, but how to distribute it?  Would it be possible to leave it in the local shops, public houses etc.  Another suggestion was made to create a group on Facebook.
  • It was stated that Newborough and Aberffraw are investigating having film nights/film clubs in the near future.
  • Video Project – showing how communities have benefited from volunteering. This video is to be made by school pupils of Henblas, Bodorgan, Newborough, Dwyran and Llangaffo. To be project managed by this group.
  • Peter Garbutt stated that storage space is required to keep the equipment owned by Malltraeth Ymlaen.
  • Peter Hughes stated that Dr Keating of the Gwalchmai Surgery is involved in “Safe Cycling” and has asked Peter to help him in obtaining a grant, perhaps through the local authority – information leaflets regarding “Safe Cycling” were distributed to all present.

DATW & TIME OF NEXT MEETING:

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

WEDNESDAY 25 MAY 2016 AT 7.00 PM

BODORGAN COMMUNITY CENTRE

ALL RESIDENTS WELCOME