Dewiswch eich iaith

All but one of these photographs were provided by Cyril and Barbara Jones of Fron. Many thanks.


Bodorgan Station is a grade II listed building. The line across Anglesey, between Llanfairpwll and Holyhead opened two years before the Britannia Bridge was completed. The design of this station is similar to the one at Valley.

Station 1900
Bodorgan Station early 20th century, looking east down the line to Bangor. On the RHS note the hose from the water tower and the signal box. On the left, beyond the platform, there's a set of points to gain access to Bodorgan's siding, and there are two cattle wagons in the siding. There was a sheep and cattle market held in the road leading to the station, and animals sold there were loaded straight onto wagons in this siding. The platform for Bangor is markedly lower than the Holyhead platfor presumably to facilitate the loading of the cattle wagons. Between the two tracks you can see three sets of signal and points control rods, coming from the signal box. One of these must have controlled points to the west of the station for another siding leading to the goods shed, which can be seen in the next photograph.
Station 913
Looking west, a view from 1913. The water tank is clearly visible behind the goods wagons.
Station later
Bodorgan station, perhaps in the 1960s. This gives us a glimpse of the goods shed to the left. The water tank is obviously no longer used. Neither is the goods shed - the control rod for the points has gone and they now have two rods for signals.
Looking west towards Holyhead, 1950. You can just see the points for the goods shed in the distance.
Track layout
The track layout for Bodorgan Station.
Meurig Arms
The Meyrick Hotel. This was presumably named after Owen Putland Meyrick who built Bodorgan Hall. The group of people in the station yard have perhaps been staged, but look carefully. Beyond the Meyrick Hotel you can see some old buildings and then another substantial building. This was the Bodorgan Arms. The OS map for 1899 shows the two pubs next to each other, with a small patch of land between them. On this land there was a cattle and sheep market. This next photograph was taken in 1948 of one of these markets.
Bethel Market
This next photograph was taken from a microlight
Station and Meyrick today. The Bodorgan Arms was the house on the far left. The old goods shed is seen on the right of the photograph. The water tank and signal box on the Holyhead platform (where the train is standing) have gone The points for the siding have disappeared. The rough ground alongside the line to Bangor was where the siding and cattle pens used to be. The station forecourt seems to be a scrapyard for cars.
And even though the station is a listed building, it didn't stop Network Rail, in their eagerness to demolish the station, from stripping the slates off the roof. Fortunately, they were spotted in time by Sue Boddington who managed to get the demolition stopped. Network Rail gave us a nice new roof!
The Women's Institute have been busy planting flowers at the station. This year (2019) they've been a real treat:
Station_Flowers_1        Flowers4
Flowers2   Flowers4