Cyril Jones has supplied several old maps of Bethel which give background information to the next pages on Bethel. The first is a map of 1857 which is shown in two parts.

1857 map of Bryn Poeth
1857 map of Bethel and Bryn Poeth (part one). The land in red is captioned 'Given in exchange to the rector of Trefdraeth' - more details of this later. The parcel of land marked '9' is the site of the present shops. It is described as 'Rock'. Presumably this was similar to the many other quartz outcrops in this area such as the one next to Tyddyn Roger called Careg-yr-Allwyn (OS map Anglesey XVIII SW 1899). The rock in Bethel was quarried and used in the production of bone china (in the Potteries); perhaps the china jug shown in the Miscellaneous article was made from Bethel bone china? The map shows the chapel and a terrace of houses running down the hill; at this time there was no terrace next to the chapel. 
Tyn Sarn Map
1857 map of Bethel and Tyn Sarn (part two). This is a continuation of the above map, with a slight overlap. Tyn Sarn has completely disappeared since 1858. The land parcel marked 5 is described as llain Ffynnon (strip of land 'to' well). The well is shown on modern OS maps.


This same 1857 map names all the fields as shown on the next two pictures.

Part of field names       Field Names 2


 This next map explains why the parcel of land in the first picture was coloured red.

Land transfer deed
Land transfer between Rector of Trefdraeth and the Marquis of Anglesey to allow expansion of the National School.


A second map, drawn in 1868, of the land to the north of the crossroads at Cefn Trefeilir. This is shown in three parts, the first of the land to the east of the present B4422.

Bryn Refail
Land to the east of Cefn Treveilir and Bryn Refail. Note the general name Parc Canol indicating a hunting park. An alteration of land ownership of the land east of  parcel 29 - OJAF Meyrick Esq has been crossed out.


The second part of this 1868 map shows land to the west of Cefn Trefeilir.

Fron Sarn land
Land to the west of Cefn Trefeilir and the B4422. The house Fron was standing in 1868. It is worth mentioning here a part of Fron's history: at one time it was an orphanage for boys. It was started by Jane Henrietta Adeane (1842-1926) of Plas Llanfawr, Holyhead. She was a member of the Penrhos family of Holyhead, the granddaughter of Sir John Thomas Stanley (1776-1850), 1st Baron Stanley of Penrhos, Holyhead and sister of William Owen Stanley (1802-1884). Violet Isabel Martineau (1865-1948) was Jane Adeane's niece, the daughter of her sister Louisa Mabel. Here is a passage from her biography:
The workhouse was constantly visited, though she was a never a guardian; and she never ceased to press in and out of season and in every direction for the removal of children from contact with other inmates. Her passionate advocacy of a law which most people considered no longer needed advocating., but which the Holyhead guardians long resisted, was successful just before she died.
She also started several new ventures which she hoped might help the town and island. One of these was the country home for boys, under the "Waiffs and Strays", at Vron in Anglesey. She was horrified by the conditions under which children were kept in the Valley Workhouse, and got this Home started under a Matron. She visited it monthly, far though it was; the visit entailed going by train to a wayside station in Anglesey, then driving in an open "shay" two or three miles, and then examining all the household books, holding a meeting, and then inspecting the Home. This she did for many years, till she was persuaded to give up the exertion, which meant a whole day away from home in any weather.
To complete the story for the 1868 map, there is a plan for the farm Gwnna Bach
Gwnna Bach
The farm Gwnna Bach -  now vanished, it's even difficult to see where it was on Google Maps. The grid reference is SH389703, about 400 yards north east of the station.


The field names for the 1868 map are shown below



Gwnna Field Names    Cefn Trefilr Fields


 This is a detailed view of Bethel taken from the OS map survey of 1888

OS 1888
Note the number of wells and water pumps (the letter p indicates a pump). Note the large house at the corner of the two terraces - that's the Mawson's shop.


Bethel )S map 1899
One last map - the 1899 1" OS map of Anglesey. The1888 and 1899 maps show a lot of changes since the 1857 map. In Bethel, the quartz rock has now been quarried, the National School has been extended and a row of houses has been built between the main road and the chapel - perhaps following that exchange of land between the rector of Trefdraeth and the Marquis of Anglesey? Tyn Sarn and Gwnna Bach have disappeared.