MALLTRAETH YMLAEN MINUTES

WEDNESDAY 26 APRIL 2017

 

A warm welcome was given by the Chairman to all residents and guests who attended the meeting.

PRESENT: Dafydd Jones (Chairman), Sheila Jones (Secretary), Rachel Sayer, Eric Haworth,

Peter Garbutt, Andrew Hughes, Ann Perkins.

APOLOGIES: Gareth Evans, Helen Evans, Margaret Rarity-Hughes, Kate Lemon,

Glenys Jones, Chris Rogers, Richard Coe, Gwilym Davies, Dr & Mrs S Lyon, Su Pearson, Cllr Peter Rogers.

CO-OPTED MEMBERS: PCSO Alison Williams

21 residents in attendance

 

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD 22 MARCH 2017 & MATTERS ARISING: Minutes were accepted as a true record of events.

  • Alwyn & Judith were thanked for organising a 60’s and70’s night at Wellmans, Llangefni recently. The event raised £1,645.00 towards Prostate Cancer. 

BROADBAND SPEEDS/OPENREACH MEETING: A meeting is to be held on 17 May at Bodorgan School to discuss broadband speeds.  Mr Geraint Strellow, a director of BT will be attending the meeting.  Speeds are very slow in the Bodorgan area, and Capell Aris asked for those with slow speeds to contact him via e-mail to forward them to Geraint Strellow.  All welcome to attend the meeting.

POLICING ISSUES: PCSO Alison Williams was welcomed to the meeting.  Dafydd has received a letter from the NW Police regarding a “POP” award, which involves the community helping the Police in the area.  Alison will find out more details of this award for us.

BRO ABERFFRAW IN BLOOM: Ali gave us an update on this issue, and stated that the committee have applied to the Foundation for a grant of £50,000 and are waiting for a reply.  They have also applied to Sport Relief for a grant of £1,000.

HOW CAN WE ENGAGE WITH YOUNGER MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY?

Dafydd asked for suggestions as to how we can engage with the younger generation in our activities.  One suggestion made was to have a Youth Malltraeth Ymlaen Group with issues that would interest them.  Also, it was mentioned that we could interest them through using social media sites.

TROLLEY MOUNTED RECYCLING BOSES: Dafydd has written to the local authority regarding the trolley boxes and is still waiting for a reply.

ITEMS FOR NEXT AGM IN MAY: Please let Dafydd know if you have any items for the AGM Agenda which will be held in May.

COMMUNITY CELEBRATION 24 JUNE: This is funded by the National Lottery Celebration Fund.  Posters now available for distribution in the area.  A registered contractor has the required insurance cover for inflatable equipment and they will be sending operators to man the equipment on the day.  Admission fee of £1 per person/child will be charged.

CELEBRATION CONCERT 24 JUNE: Brothers Magee and Will Tân will be the entertainment for the evening.  &pm start.  Tickets will be available soon and will cost £5 each.

COMMUNITY ISSUES: Eric Haworth asked if there was a cut-off date for nominees for the local election.  He had contacted the local authority and was informed that the dates were available at the Council Offices, local noticeboards and on the website.

BODORGAN FORTHCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS:

  • Every Thursday – 7pm Bodorgan Community Bingo

150 CLUB – DRAWS 1 & 2:

Draw 1              1st        No 209                        Val Wilson, Iorwerth Terrace, Bethel

                        2nd        No 253                        Chris Basterfield, Beach Cottage, Malltraeth

                        3rd        No 220                        Maldwyn Williams, Trefdraeth

Draw 2              1st        No 324                        Caitlin Williams, 1 Porth-y-Felin, Holyhead

                        2nd        No 327                        Alwyn Rowlands, Gwel Ynys, Malltraeth

                        3rd        No 283                        Dr S Lyon, Ardraeth, Malltraeth

ANY OTHER BUSINESS:

  • Malltraeth Ymlaen Website – Menter Môn have now made all IT staff redundant, but Dafydd will contact them again.
  • Christine Garbutt thanked everyone for their support for the Open Studios Weekl. The WI has received some money for a tapestry project which will involve the Bro Aberffraw area.
  • Rachel Sayer mentioned that the 14 group were carrying out research on disability and will be in thi area on 11 & 12 May. Should anyone need to discuss facilities for the disabled, a meeting has been arranged for the 12 May at Eglwys Bach, Newborough,.

DATE & TIME OF NEXT MEETING:

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

WEDNESDAY 26 MAY 2017 AT 7.00 PM

BODORGAN COMMUNITY CENTRE

ALL RESIDENTS WELCOME