Cyril Jones has supplied several old maps of Bethel which give background information to the next pages on Bethel. The first is a map of 1857 which is shown in two parts.
This same 1857 map names all the fields as shown on the next two pictures.
This next map explains why the parcel of land in the first picture was coloured red.
A second map, drawn in 1868, of the land to the north of the crossroads at Cefn Trefeilir. This is shown in three parts, the first of the land to the east of the present B4422.
The second part of this 1868 map shows land to the west of Cefn Trefeilir.
It is worth mentioning here a part of Fron's history: at one time it was an orphanage for boys. It was started by Jane Henrietta Adeane (1842-1926) of Plas Llanfawr, Holyhead. She was a member of the Penrhos family of Holyhead, the granddaughter of Sir John Thomas Stanley (1776-1850), 1st Baron Stanley of Penrhos, Holyhead and sister of William Owen Stanley (1802-1884). Violet Isabel Martineau (1865-1948) was Jane Adeane's niece, the daughter of her sister Louisa Mabel. Here is a passage from her biography:
The workhiouse was constantly visited, though she was a never a guardian; and she never ceased to press in and out of season and in every direction for the removal of children from contact with other inmates. Her passionate advocacy of a law which most people considered no longer needed advocating., but which the Holyhead guardians long resisted, was successful just before she died.
She also started several new ventures which she hoped might help the town and island. One of these was the country home for boys, under the "Waiffs and Strays", at Vron in Anglesey. She was horrified by the conditions under which children were kept in the Valley Workhouse, and got this Home started under a Matron. She visited it monthly, far though it was; the visit entailed going by train to a wayside station in Anglesey, then driving in an open "shay" two or three miles, and then examining all the household books, holding a meeting, and then inspecting the Home. This she did for many years, till she was persuaded to give up the exertion, which meant a whole day away from home in any weather.
To complete the story for the 1868 map, there is a plan for the farm Gwnna Bach
The field names for the 1868 map are shown below:
This is a detailed view of Bethel taken from the OS map survey of 1888