All of these photographs were provided by Cyril and Barbara Jones of Fron. Many thanks.
These next pictures are of two terraces, opposite the present telephone exchange, which were demolished and new houses built in their place. This aerial photograph gives shows you the area we're looking at.
Looking west towards the chapel, the house on the left is the present cottage in front of Carrog Ceiliog Fawr; the houses to the right of the chapel have been demolished.
This view is looking from the house next to the existing shop
The next three photographs show Mawson's shop on the lane running up to the chapel. They're shown in time order.
The next four photographs show the other demolished terrace, running down the hill, along the main road - in time order
The next two photographs probably show this terrace just before demolition. The slates on the roofs of these houses are very small, the sort usually pinned with one nail - or more usually an oak peg - which suggests that these houses were over one hundred years' old. One of the roofs has been dressed with lime because the slates are starting to slip. The sign on Pritchard's shop has been removed.
So where did all the rubble from these demolished houses go? On the west side of the main road, where the present village shops stands, the 1857 map shows a rock. The rock was quarried for making china and then the rubble from the demolished houses was used to fill in the quarry! Harold and Dorothy Mawson built Bethel stores on the in-filled quarry.
One last view, and we don't know who gave us this, but it's of Bethel, taken from the bottom of the hill looking up at the old terrace of houses on the right. Today's surgery is to the left of the telegraph pole. We think this is circa 1940.
There's more information on Bethel on Wikipedia.